This fall, the Phoenix Queens of the Nation joins other NYC women’s organization’s for the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene’s city-wide Reproductive Justice Intiative which is designed to address and educate women and families living in NYC communities about their reproductive rights and access to services and information.
One aspect of this intiative is getting the word out about the benefits of using the IUD as a form of effective birth control. The IUD is a highly effective, low maintenance birth control option. It is a small, T-shaped birth control device that a health care provider inserts into a woman’s uterus. There are two-types – one contains hormones – and lasts for up to 5 years and the other does not contain hormones and lasts for up to ten years.
For more information, please visit: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/living/maybe-the-iud.shtml
Take Action and join the #MaybeTheIUD Campaign
Community members are being encourage to take action and get involved in this important community health initiative. Some ways that people can get involved are:
- Organize a tabling or workshop with free promotional items.
- Contact Latasha at firstname.lastname@example.org and get a free swag bag.
- Take photos of the ads in the subway/bus shelters or of your organization using campaign materials and post on social media with #MaybeTheIUD
- Interested in materials in Spanish? English and Spanish campaign materials are available by calling 311.
- Thought of something we didn’t? Want to get creative in other ways? We’d love to hear about it. Contact Alexis Santos-Vimos for any questions or to share ideas: email@example.com.
For more information on how to join the Phoenix Queens of the Nation and how you can get involved and participate in this and other community programs and initiatives please contact: Zulu Queen Benu Ma’at @ firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com